Billboard published an article this week that I thought, if you are a DIY band or even a band working with a small independent record label, was a little over-the-top. Tips like, get on the Today Show, Letterman, The Grammys, The Super Bowl Half Time Show, or Oprah are great if you are fueled by the cash of a high-octane major label. But, for the average band, these are pipe dreams at best.
I did take notice that only one of the top 100 included social media: number 62, a mention on a “Regularly Updated Artist Twitter Feed.” I also thought that many of the recommendations on the list were very ‘old school’ – focused heavily on radio, mass consumed magazines, and TV. These days, especially for the Indie artist, radio hardly matters at all.
Billboard did offer a few side lists that I printed below just to give you a flavor of the Top 100 list and thought they “might” be useful for the readers of this Blog. But even those are a little tough to accomplish for an Indie artist.
What was interesting to me was the side article entitled Maximum Exposure: DIY where several panelists gave their thoughts on an independent singer/songwriter. Click here for my post on that article.
Indie Rock Top 5
- Performance On Coachella Secondary Stage
- Add to Medium Rotation at WXPN Philadelphia
- Performance on Lollapalooza Secondary Stage
- Video of Premiere on Pitchfork
- Add to Medium Retation at KCRW Los Angeles
Hip-Hop Top 5
- Interview/Performance on BET’s “106 & Park”
- Song Added to Medium Rotation on WQHT (Hot 97) New York
- Video/Song Posted on www.worldstarhiphop.com
- Video/Song Posted on www.nahright.com
- Video/Song Posted on www.rapradar.com
Country Music Top 5
- Performance on Country Music ASSN. Awards Show
- Retail Partnership With Cracker Barrel
- Performance on Academy of Country Music Awards Show
- Performance on ABC’s “CMA Music Festival” Special
- Cover of Country Edition of People Magazine
Hard Rock Top 5
- Music Played on Sirius XM’s Liquid Metal
- Playing The European Summer Metal Festival Circuit
- Artist Visit on VH1′s “That Metal Show”
- Cover Story in Revolver
- Licensing Song For Horror Movie Soundtrack